Langkawi 2015, beaches

Yes, its that time of the year again when everyone goes on vacation and boasts about it in the Internet. And this time, its my turn. 

Now, just because Langkawi is nearby and in the country, doesn't mean that it doesn't provide equivalent pleasure of faraway exotic places like New York or Morocco, but perhaps, give even more pleasure in spite of it. 

This time around, I traveled by car, in which there is a ferry service from Kuala Perlis to Langkawi, after an arduous 5 hour drive from KL. I didn't drive any. I offered myself to drive 5 times but Aiman wouldn't let me. So, I guess that's fair. So I slept the whole way and woke up while the ferry was already moving.

One of the islands I see as the ferry approaches Langkawi

Masjid Al Ehsan, Kg Temonyong Mukim Kedawang

The view from my room at Tanjung Melati Resort
I have celebrated many of my past New Year Eves in Langkawi. Langkawi have been nice to me all these years and its time for me to return the favor by promoting it to friends and now blogging about it so people go there and spend their hard earned money to grow its economy. From my observation, the number of tourists have gone slightly down this year around. So this year, I bought 3 sunglasses instead of the usual one. Branded sunglasses. But cheap. RM 15, no nego. (Update, all 3 broke down when I arrived in KL, they just could not tahan the pressure from my eyes)


A creative entrepreneur opened up a boutique in a bus
I use to tell this story that humans enjoy being next to the beach because it is almost like the first sounds that we hear, when we were merely fetuses in our mom's uterus we hear the sounds of rushing water. Thus, when we hear the sound of water, it calms us into our first state of being from nothing. I believe that oceans, lakes, rivers, pools, even fountains can irresistibly affect our minds. Maybe we came from the sea and the sea was once a home for us, thus being by the sea is like balik kampung.


Thousands have lived without love, not one without water.— W. H. Auden 
I need the sea because it teaches mePablo Neruda

Yet another view of the beach from my room, at noon. 

Some European probably came out of this idea of locking things away and now its in Langkawi. I think relationships should not be seen as a lock, of all things that it should be compared to 

A table made out of sand. We tried to make a bed too but it was too tiring.


So, the climax of New Year is on New Year's eve. That's when people in Cenang beach gather to light up lanterns and see fireworks. All my pictures of fireworks have failed me, I think because I was already quite tired by the time midnight came. I made a wish, and said Amin before lifting up my lantern and it flew away safely. Greedily, I lighted up another 4 lanterns and made four more wishes.



Lantern secara berjemaah lebih afdhal
It is interesting to note that many do sleep on New Year's Eve. So every year, we made the group picture for those who lasted until dawn, and right after some performed the subuh prayers, we took pictures of those who made it this year.



Now, what would a New Year by the beach mean anything without a yacht cruise? Following the footsteps of Pamela Anderson, we rented a yacht for ourselves and lived like kings and queens, being served by Caucasian waitresses and fed grapes while we lay on our sun burned backs.
Selfie fail




Perfectly timed picture of my dive into the deep Andaman sea, right before hitting the water
Walaupun letih, kami semua gembira

(typical ending zaman sekolah dulu)

Sunrise at an undisclosed private, expensive location

My 38th Birthday Cake

Laksa Kaow

A more silent side of Langkawi


View from top of Gunung Mat Cincang or the Cable Car (I passed out while the others did this)

Panoramic view of the beach 



Comments

Popular Posts