Hong Kong 2016


3 months ago, I was in Hong Kong for a business trip. I stayed there for five days to attend a conference. I am not really into traveling. I hate the hassles of packing, foreign language, accommodation, acclimatising , deacclimatising, reading up, searching, research, checking in hotel, unpacking, money, etc etc. And above it all, this was a bad time for me. I had just broke up and to a very large and ineffective extent, I was heartbroken. I was a dead man walking. Not exactly dead dead, but heartbroken. One of those times when I hate to admit that I am weak and lovelorn and hurt but I had to or else I would be lying to myself.

When we landed in Hong Kong, I had quite a scare because it landed so close to the sea and I thought the pilot made a mistake. But watching everyone else in the place keep calm made me changed my mind from yelling any Arabic verses in the plane.




The city is purely, a business city. From the port, one can see the hustle and bustle of the city. People are mostly rude and I met the worst taxi driver ever but I think I can understand. This is not a place for the faint hearted. People here are rough and they are tough to last the stress of the city. I was hanging out by the train stop at after work and I saw no smiles. People were frowning as if they lost the love of the lives the minute before. Asking for directions is problematic because no one wanted to spend time helping out a foreigner because probably it would take their time from doing something else that would be more beneficial.




Well, maybe life sucks and it is so competitive that people don't have time to smile. I can really understand that. But it makes me wonder when there are people around who are probably in their worst of times but are able to help others in need. Back in my own country, I know of many people who are worst off than me. Yet, they are able to muster a smile or greet people. Maybe different cultures breed different outlooks in life. 



Hong Kongers are reminded of the first plane by the Wright brothers in the airport. Of course, there is only one pilot in the plane, signifying some unspoken family feud.



I was quite surprised to see the greenery of hills on the way to the airport from the city. It was quite a large area of hills and greens. I can only imagine that this place be populated with people in the decades to come.

More mountains as we approach the city

A badly taken picture of the Hong Kong port which is filled by thousands of containers. These containers stretch as far as the eye can see. Yet, I missed this shot. Well, there's always imagination.


Approaching the city, the high risers looks like they are squinting.

Rolling clouds move slowly above the city. Probably the only thing that is not hurrying up.




A red junk moving slowly. 
Quite a fantastic view. Actually, this view is almost the same with other British colonised island of old times, like Singapore and Penang. HSBC is always there.

A selfie that shows I was alone. I was not. But I would rather people think that way. Actually I was alone. 

Its quite beautiful at night. 




The striped shirt is an optical illusion to make me look horizontaly challenged





Some strangers I conned to pretend I have friends in Hong Kong to show off to my real friends

This pub was full to the brim. So in pure Chinese fashion, we went into it.


Me and a colleague posing as if we were having the time of our lives


By the pool I found some solace from the hectic crazy world




Occasionally, full bodied women cross the road (note : this was not the intent of the pic being taken)

Liquid nitrogen ice cream. Too damn poor to try this. One day, liquid nitrogen ice cream, one day ....we will meet again

The City Center at night. Feels safe. Although I always imagine a group of Young N Dangerous guys coming out from the corner of the ally at any time


Lots of these kind of shops which sells traditional medicines. These medicines must have worked fine because I don't really see that many clinics around in Hong Kong in the city center

Full of tall buildings

The swimming pool at my hotel where I found some relieve from water and went on a reseach on water quotes (refer previous blog posting)

Two tall towers in Hong Kong compete with each other


Always moving , always business



Quantum Communication - this is probably the most intellectual part in this blog



Comments

Popular Posts