And on the way to the airport...



On the way to the airport, I met a stranger that shared his life and in the process, a valuable life lesson for me.

I was late. The flight is in one and half an hour's time and I haven't packed anything yet. Nor have I arranged for transport to the airport. I then Googled for "Taxi Malaysia Airport" and got a number. Dialled it, taxi guy will be coming in half an hour. Good, now I have time to pack.

The airport taxi honked and I rushed to put my two bags in the cab. "My flight is at 12 and its 10.45 now, can we make it?" I asked him. "Yeah, I think we can make it". "Good"
 
-Gambar Hiasan-
He is an Indian man aged around 28-32 years, skinny with curly hair and a trimmed moustache. We chatted on stuff, like weather. Halfway to the airport, he is driving around 100 km/h in a 110 km/h limit zone. "Bro, can you do drive faster ah?", I asked him.

He paused his answer for a while. 4.7 seconds.

Then he said " Actually, I would like to drive fast. I want to get you to the airport as fast as possible so I can get the next passenger early and the faster I drop the passengers off, the higher the number of passengers I can get" . Yeah, that make sense.

He continues ," However, this is not my road. This road is shared with other drivers too. I can drive my taxi fast, but if I get into an accident, the accident usually will involve other people too. And they are the people who may not drive fast, they have been following the law and it is unfair for them to get into an accident caused by me. I may deserve to get into an accident because I drove fast but to them, its not fair at all."

Whoa, okay. *Awkward moment 1

"Let me show you something" , he said and fiddled into his left pocket. While driving, he took out his phone and was looking for something to show me. "Take a look".

It was a picture of a one legged boy. His right leg was only up to his knee.

-Gambar Hiasan -

"That's my son", the taxi driver said. "A driver sped in front of my house and hit him. Though he braked, it was too late. His leg had to be amputated."

*Awkward moment 2

Well, that's that. I just think this story is worth sharing. I don't think I should limit what others should think of it, or make conclusion of it by sharing my thoughts here as well.

FYI: I made it to the airport in time for my flight.






Comments

  1. Great story! Thanks for sharing.. I was hit by a motorcyclist who ran through red light and hit right into my driver door (i was driving alone). I, the law abiding driver was innocently hit and first time have the 'opportunity' to get on an ambulance but thank God I drove a 'safer' car (TOyota) rather than my own myvi. Guess i am glad that I am still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that you are still alive (otherwise it's weird!). Hope you live well and prosper. Live to the fullest! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts