Fishing in Langkawi


            Early January, I went fishing in Langkawi. Charted a boat with a guy I just knew the night before, Xavier, friend of a friend. To charter the boat for 4 hours, it costs RM 450. Apparently, Xavier wants to fish around the islands surrounding Langkawi and he had fished around in different countries. And I haven't been fishing for quite some time.

The last fishing trip I went was at Feringghi Beach Hotel in Penang, in my underwear.

Well, my cousin rationalised that it would fool the fishes, thinking we are indigenous people fishing and thus they will be more willing to bite the bait. Well, in documentaries, indigenous people seem to catch lots of fishes everytime. Makes sense. At that time.

That was like 17 years ago and we did catch a lot of fish back then, armed with cheap string strung around a can and prawns for bait that we took from our homes.

That day in Langkawi, we had the best tools. We had high quality rods, one for trawling and one for normal fishing. The boat driver had a massive toolbox with multiple compartments for different fishing needs. But in the three hours of fishing, (one hour to cook and eat) we managed to only catch five small groupers. 

It was not a good day for fishing, the boat driver cum fishing butler said. The five small groupers however, were surprisingly sweet and delicious, cooked tiga rasa style.

This is NOT in Langkawi. This was in Aquaria, KLCC. I just thought it can give an idea of my expectations before going out.





Comments

Popular Posts