The Battle of Narratives


History is written by the victors, they say. Well, that was one of the earliest line from "Braveheart", a story of William Wallace, a Scotsman who died for his country valiantly. If even a hero like him, can be forgotten in the annals of history in his own land and only had to be reminded by an American movie from an Australian actor, what more mere underachieving mortals like me. Thus, it is imperative that I get my story out before I am unable to do so, before other narrative paints me the way that I never was. 




Mankind had progressed from stone age to iron age then to industrial revolution to the digital revolution. And now, I believe is the narrative revolution where every powers that be wants to change the history of the land, inclusive of the religion and the cultures according to their own narrative. Propaganda machines are changing thoughts and shaping opinions at every nook and corner and we are heading to a belief system that no one knows originates from where anymore, as everyone follows the majority, for fear of being singled out and ostracised. There is no more discovery, there is no more search for the truth, what left is compliance and obedience. Sheeps, we all have become, mere sheeps.




Nevertheless, a story cannot stand on an individual as it is intertwined with other people. Thus, this is my concern for as I paint my story out, I will have to paint other people's story in mine, from my own perspective. Some might not like it and many will detest. People are always afraid to show their real selves, be it good or bad. Even the most beautiful of actress think they look ugly on camera. There is something about reading or watching our own self that brings out illogical shame and fear of being ridiculed.



But tell I must. 

Comments

Popular Posts